Saturday 25 August 2007

Bring your kids to work day

So BestBuy had a bring your kids to work day last Wednesday. Andy dropped Dan and I off at work and went off for some quality girl time together. I mistakenly thought that there would be lots of supervised activities - but this was just me assuming everything would be easy - it turned out that I had to stay with Dan but I was also fully booked out with meetings :-(

Luckily Debbie had a gap in her schedule and agreed to look after Dan for a bit
Here's Dan losing to Debbie at draughts (or checkers as they say here)

Fortunately my 9-11am meeting was so dull that I was able to take Dan into the second part of it and let him play games on my phone, so some pretty dry conversations about financial benefit models were punctuated by occasional screams of 'Level 4' or 'I got lasers Dad'.

I got even luckier for my next meeting where someone was a no show so I took the opportunity of getting Dan to help me move offices - all of BestBuy Mobile will be sitting together for the first time. I had to move between building so Dan sat on my swivel chair and I pushed him along the underground corridors that join the buildings together. We then hung around my desk where Dan decided to climb on all the furniture

and take photos of some of my work colleagues


Like Jorg who is our main contact with Accenture and is trying to help us adjust our thinking to the BestBuy mentality - he had a full head of hair 6 weeks ago.

And Bob who is the Chief Technologist for BestBuy and obviously a very serious sort of person, I spent some time with him in Rome where we had some whiskies - Bob is into his whisky and when I was telling him about my current favourite, a 10 yr old cask strength McCallan proclaimed 'I never met a McCallan I didn't like'.

And here is me looking relaxed in my natural habitat

Then it was time for lunch which was all free!
Dan was still very protective of his dessert though.
Here is a shot of the patio area which shows one of the four buildings that form the HQ in the background
Then it was (more than) time for Dan to head home so I could try to recover my day, Andy and Becky picked Dan up and I headed back to the office slightly worn out and mentally trying to recall of the people I needed to apologise to.

No comments: