Sunday 31 January 2010

Who stole January?

Bit scary that it's been a month since the last blog - not quite sure where the month has gone really. Work has been a bit rubbish - I should be keeping a secret blog where I can be honest about some of the stuff I deal with on a daily basis but really can't - it can be frustrating sometimes!!!

Weather has been a bit mixed, we took the kids to the science museum one day when it was a bit nippy (see the temp reading below)
but other than the odd day its been a relatively mild Jan, it even went above freezing for a couple of days which is almost unheard of. It got to about a degree above freezing and we went skiing and there were people out in shorts and T-shirts. Here's Dan with a nice view of Minneapolis in the background.
And you can spot him in the center of the picture going up the tow rope in the freestyle area which he loves although he's not on the big rails and tubes yet. I did my first rail on the snowboard recently which I was pretty pleased about given how long it's taken me to get the hang of boarding. It made me feel like I'd still got some teenager inside me - the good kind, not the spotty kind.
We also had some surprise visitors, Zahava (my cousin from Israel) and Joey came to stay for a few days with their kids Ofia, Mya and Danielle. They've also been living in the states, Oregon to be precise, for 18 months and were on their move back to Israel but wanted to stop in Minneapolis for a few days which is where a lot of Joey's relatives are. We had a great time with them as their girls are 12, 8 and 2 so Dan was right in there with Ofia and Mya and Becky loved having Mya as an older girl friend and Danielle as a toddler she could look after. We also met up with Joey's relatives who were really hospitable and I found out that one of them works in the same building that I do! We took them for an obligatory lake walk (if you ever visit in the winter we'll take you for a walk on the lake) despite it being in the middle of a heatwave and their being about an inch of slush and water on the surface as you can see.



We've also been getting ready for Dan's party which is tomorrow - Dan and Becky helped to bake the cake.

One thing about the cold temperatures is that it created some icicles which Andy loves to crunch.
I also took this photo today (31st Jan) of our back garden. Guess how long it has been since it last snowed? It's actually nearly 5 weeks since we last had snow - which just shows how long it stays around.
Martin and Margaret have just arrived in time for Dan's birthday too which the kids are super excited about. So we took Martin for his lake walk today, its a little colder than this time last week with Zahava and Joey - same lake though. Dan was a mini ninja attacking the bullrushes.
And this is the river that runs into the lake
We're expecting some snow tomorrow for Dan's birthday, I do hope so....

No comments: